Vegan in Segovia and La Granja


As I may have previously mentioned, Spain is not always well suited to the vegan diner; with its love of jamon (which I've been told on many occasions should be the exception to my veganism), tortilla (made with egg and fried potato), and what I was to discover is the famous dish of Segovia - cochinillo (a whole baby pig that has been splayed out on a platter after being roasted in an oven with a variety of herbs and/or spices).

Unfortunately this has meant that getting a good hot meal - minus any queso (cheese), huevo (egg), leche (milk) or atĂșn (tuna) - is near impossible in your standard bar or restaurant. I've been really lucky to live with an amazing group of Spanish (and French, and Portuguese and Italian) housemates who have been endlessly helpful in spotting the non-vegan items on the menu, or asking waitstaff the necessary questions on my behalf.

Thankfully, during our day-trip to Segovia, we passed on any restaurants advertising the famous baby pig dish when choosing a place to stop for lunch. Instead we picked a quaint bar with a variety of non-vegan tapas and a few easily modifiable ensaladas (salad) and baguette options. With the help of my travelling companions, I enjoyed a fresh mixed salad - consisting of sweet corn, white asparagus, lettuce, tomato, beetroot and grated carrot. I aways really appreciate the effort of the bar owners, who are so willing to make something on the fly. 

La Granja was, surprisingly, a little more confronting for the ethical vegan, as our visit coincided with a medieval festival featuring large grills laden with meat and very little in the way of vegan fare. Being a lover of bread meant that I got by just fine.

Segovia and La Granja delivered an insight in to traditional Spain - with its Roman and Jewish influences, aqueducts, castles and cathedrals. All-in-all, a really lovely day out in the country side. 

Popular Posts

Image

Welcome!