May 14, 2016

SEMANA DE SOPAS (SOUP WEEK!) - DAY 7

DAY 7: New England Glam Chowder


This was the recipe that caught my attention when I first pored over Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Isa Does It. The reason it has taken years to actually make was the fishy-factor as well as my complete ignorance of what "authentic" clam chowder should be like. What I have come to realise is 1. who cares what the "original" (i.e. non-vegan) version of something is like, vegan food is not a substitute, it is a cuisine in its own right; and 2. I love to try new flavours and techniques, so this was a great opportunity to use nori in a new way! Moral to this story... this New England Glam Chowder worked out great and is now one of my favourite Soup Week creations. Unlike Isa's recipe, I used firm tofu in place of the button mushrooms, dried shiitake mushrooms instead of fresh, and left-over crushed Matzo rather than saltines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment